In the smoky noir world of 1958 San Francisco, this dramatic mystery replete with comedic overtones finds a down and out private detective, Joe Nails, experiencing a series of surrealistic yet disturbing dreams, in which his once best friend pleads for his help before turning a gun to his head and firing. To ease the lingering doubts regarding his friend’s well-being, Joe sets out to locate him, only to learn he has been missing for at least a month before Joe’s dreams began. As he deepens his investigation, one populated throughout by an amazing mixture of unforgettable characters: including his friend’s amorous ex-wife, his even more amorous lover, his friend’s dictator-like employer who rules over his kingdom with a fanatical fist, and an indecipherable hired goon who orders Joe off his fledgling search and punctuates his request by flattening Joe with one punch. But Joe refuses to comply or believe those striving to convince him of his friend’s presumed fate, and therefore becomes embroiled in a tangled world of murder, deception, passion, suicide, and heartbreak, and pays the price when confronted with the shocking reality to his friend’s actions, as well as facing the final desperation of his own.
Links to download free book – Always double check the price before you download – sometimes there are price glitches or unexpected price changes.
This book is free from 04/13/2019 until 04/13/2019.
About the Author
My name is Ryan Janz and I live in Anytown, USA, and I have chosen not to include my photo on my Amazon Author page at this time in the abject fear I will be recognized and therefore mobbed by crazed fans. For example, say I post my picture, and let’s also say I’m walking my dog down my friendly neighborhood street, you know, Main Street, and as a result the unthinkable occurs:
1. I am breathlessly asked by a passing neighbor to autograph my thrilling new Noir/Private Investigator novel, Boulevard Dreams, or I’m pretty sure that’s what he said.
2. My neighbor doesn’t have the book with him, or as he put it, “I’ve never heard of your stupid piece of trash and you frighten me”.
3. I give him a copy I happen to be carrying in my wheelbarrow.
4. My neighbor is hesitant in believing I wrote the book.
5. I produce my driver’s license for proof of my authorship, careful to place my thumb over my picture because I do not wish to be recognized and therefore mobbed by crazed fans.
6. My neighbor threatens to call the police.
7. My dog insists we hastily return home, and as we do, I lower my baseball cap across my face because I do not wish to be recognized and…etc.
8. I hear police sirens and as I hide below the trap door in my basement my dog decides to move out.
9. While living under my basement and perusing a handy book containing chock full of fun survival techniques, it occurs to me I don’t own a dog.
10. Having read how baked rat can easily be transformed into a healthy snack while overthrowing the government, I hear a dog howling in the distance, reminding me it’s time once again to collect my wheelbarrow and join my best friend for a pleasant walk down Main Street, USA.
Is this book no longer free? Let us know in the comments so we can remove it from our site. Have you read this book? Tell us what you thought about it in the comments!